Adventures learning geography with two little girls and their mommy, through Google Earth, Postcrossing and Geocaching!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

13th Out, Istanbul, Turkey

I have learned that I'm falling in love with Istanbul!
Istanbul, Turkey - Historically known as Byzantium and Constantinople.  It is the only metropolis in the world that is situated on two continents (Europe and Asia), Wow! It is also a "Global City" or "Alpha City" which are cities deemed to be important points in the global economic system (Thanks Wikipedia!).  There are so many beautiful buildings here, one I've long admired is Hagia Sophia.  The Sultan Ahmed Mosque or Blue Mosque is pretty spectacular as well.  I remember learning about the famous aqueduct's in middle school history, and the 4th century Valens Aqueduct is in Istanbul.  There is so much to learn and see here.  I think we've found our first place to add to a list for a unit study!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment